Skip to main content

Ergonomics

                                Source
The job of a well-designed interior is to promote the connection between a space’s design and the functionality of it.  That functionality is called ergonomics.  Ergonomics is around to simply create a user friendly space.  We need to design spaces that keep ergonomics in mind or we will have beautiful spaces with no prospects of being used. Thinking of all the spaces I inhabit, one of the most important spaces to incorporate ergonomics is the kitchen.  With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I have been thinking a lot about cooking and how it is so important that the kitchen allows for us to be able to move quickly and store a lot.  The kitchen in my apartment has served as well over the past year and a half, but does have some design flaws of its own that are just not user friendly. 

The Dishwasher
photo by me
One thing I do thoroughly enjoy about our kitchen is the dishwasher.  Freshman year, I lived on campus and had to hand wash every pot, pan, or plate I used and it proved to be too time consuming and irritating to have to do regularly.  Ergonomics was taken into consideration with the dishwasher because of the placement within the cabinet and how tall it is.  Its placement is out of the way of the sink, so if you are cleaning dishes out of the sink, you can comfortably place them inside the dishwasher without having to open or close it each time.  It also sits at a comfortable height to where we do not have to strain to load or unload the dishes.  



The Cabinets

photo by me
photo by me
Because of the layout of our apartment, we were blessed with a lot of cabinetry.  Although, not all of it is useable or user friendly.  The top shelves on the wall cabinets are too high for us to reach to store anything that we would need to use on a regular basis. When we need to get something out of them, we have to pull a chair over to be able to get it.  There are also cabinets over the refrigerator, which really are impossible for us to use.  Though the floor cabinets are large and spacious, they are way too deep and our items get lost back in there.  If we need to get something from the bottom cabinets, we have to get on the ground to reach it. 

The Pantry

photo by me
Again, we were thoroughly blessed with a large pantry in our apartment.  It holds four shelves and tons of storage at the bottom which leads to a lot of snack food from us three girls.  The second, third, and fourth shelves are at perfect heights for us and we can simply retrieve our snack or stock up after the grocery store.  On the other hand, the first shelf is extremely hard for us to reach.  To be able to use the depth of the shelf, we have to stand on a chair or reach on our tippy toes just for the front items.  Often things get lost and forgotten about on the top shelf. Although it is great for extra storage, it is not practical for things we need to use every day.







Comments

  1. The examples you used relate to me because my apartment is set up in the same way. It often is difficult to reach things as I am not tall enough. Ergonomics should have been taken into consideration a little more when designing this space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to the struggle with the pantry and cabinet heights! Although my apartment is supposed to be handicap accessible it is still hard for me to reach things! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Control Theory

sketch by me     The spaces around us define how we feel, move, and interact with others. While the way a person moves and interacts in a space is often determined by the design of the area, the way one feels is left entirely up to the person’s individual feelings towards control theory. Control theory is the sense of control that one has over the spaces the occupy.  Control theory consists of three parts 1. Behavioral control 2. Cognitive control 3. Decisional control.  Together, these three parts control how we feel about the spaces we live and interact in. Behavioral Control    Source     By definition, behavioral control is the ability for one to “change [their] behavior to the desired behavior” (Nugent). This means a person can change the environment that they are in. I see this in myself as a child, as I went through many different phases of toys that I loved, and would change up my bedroom to match whatever toy I wanted to play with then.  When it was my Play-Do

Proxemics

Proxemics I will admit it; I am a space violator. I often find myself choosing to sit in the chair closest to my friends or standing closely to another person in line. I am extremely comfortable being close to others and sometimes I forget that not everyone is as comfortable as I am being close in proximity to one another. To explain why we feel this way, we describe our comfortability as proxemics- the study of space and how we use it, how it makes us feel more or less comfortable, and how we arrange objects and ourselves in relation to space (What is Proxemics?). The difference in the way we feel in different settings is explained by the four zones of proxemics, the intimate zone, personal zone, social zone, and public zone (Moody). The intimate zone goes from 0” inches to 18” in proximity from you to another, the personal zone is up to 48” away from another, the social zone is 48” to 12’, and the public zone is 12’ to 25’.  These zones are represented throughout many different

Gallery Walls

                     Source I truly believe every home I have ever entered has had some sort of a gallery wall. While today, the Pinterest era might have sparked a more creative approach to the gallery wall, my childhood was filled of homes with walls covered in pictures of my friends and their families- not to mention that is exactly my mom has the walls of our hallways decorated. Every generic white backdrop photo or beach photo (yes, in the khakis) my family has ever taken is displayed along the tall, tan hallways of my childhood home and serve as a reminder for us of how lucky we are to have each other. Because I have always grown up with them, I cannot imagine having a space without some sort of a gallery wall. Gallery walls are interesting to me because they allow space to be filled with memories, inspirations, and treasures that you want to display to everyone. They serve as a little peak into your interests and beloved memories each time someone new sees it. desk ga