Skip to main content

Design Philosophy

   Source
Thinking back on the remarks and compliments I’ve treasured the most in my life- whether they be from a teacher I had a lot respect for or even my best friend, they all praise my work ethic. Being a people pleaser, I have always strived to work the hardest and get everything done to help others out. This has followed me everywhere, from my professional life to my personal life and has helped me be the person I am today. Contrastingly, being the daughter of the two most carefree and laid-back people in the world, I know how to step back and let myself relax, when the time is right. 

My favorite relaxing spot
I try to live by “Work Hard, Play Hard.”  I have always had a strong work ethic and find myself surrounded by commitments and things that I need to get done, and since coming to college, that has only increased immensely.  I am attracted to spaces that promote work- the downstairs snack bar at my parents’ house, the makeshift desk in my dorm, and even now, the desk that is the focal point of my college apartment bedroom. I work best in spaces that inspire me and help me get everything I need to do, done. With that being said, I also extremely appreciate a relaxing, comfortable space that helps you unwind from the day. The best example I have is my own bed, surrounded by memories I’ve made with friends and a plethora of pillows on top of it.

I find myself either working very hard or relaxing very hard. I want to create spaces that prove you can be both a hard worker and still laid-back. Because of the work from home approach so many adults are taking now a days, it is important to have a great working environment but also a serene place to let yourself unwind in. My designs will help keep work at work and home at home all while being underneath the same roof. There’s no reason we should let work keep us from enjoying all the moments in our lives, but we don’t have to push our commitments away for it to happen either- we can make both happen in our spaces. 

Comments

  1. I agree with you when you say that you could either work hard or relax hard. I totally relate to that!! I also love your design philosophy, especially knowing you personally... you were right on point with everything! Great article, Aubrey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Comfort is such an important thing when designing a space! Work hard Relax hard is so relatable & reflects you perfectly! I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the time, I am also a people pleaser and work extremely hard to make others happy. I really appreciate that you create spaces for the hardworking, people pleasers who also want to feel serene and relaxed. Being a full-time college student and someone who strives to work from home in the future, I passionately believe spaces like these are necessary for people like you and me. Wonderful philosophy and wonderful article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creating a space that is a place for relaxing and work is a bit hard for me. I'm the type of person that has a hard time working near my bed because soon I will be in it, passed out. I think it's good to have that balance. Working 3 jobs and going to school is hard to find the time to actually relax. It's really inspiring that you want to create that balance for others!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment